Umar ibn Khattab (ra) said, “Winter is the prize of the worshipper” echoing the words of our beloved Prophet (saw) who also extolled on the virtues of this season. As we move through the frosty short days, and the long frigid nights, let our hearts and souls find warmth in the possibilities for Allah’s reward through acts of worship.
Below are a few tips we share every winter as a reminder of how we can ignite our spirituality amidst the snow and cold. Especially in this year of Corona, when we face unprecedented challenges that may have left their toll on both our bodies and minds, let us use this winter well to rebuild our faith.
- Fast – With the days being short and cool, this is the perfect time to engage in voluntary fasts or make up for any missed obligatory fasts. The Prophet (saw) said, “(Allah said), “Every good deed of Adam’s son is for him except fasting; it is for Me. and I shall reward (the fasting person) for it. (Al-Bukhari and Muslim)
- Pray – The nights are long offering plenty of time for Qiyam ul Layl. You can add in a few rakat before you go to bed, or sleep early and wake up for the tranquil hours of prayer before fajr. The Prophet (saw) said: “The best prayer after the obligatory prayer is prayer at night.” (Muslim)
- Share the warmth – Winter can be particularly hard for those in need and more so during a pandemic. Share your blessings by giving to organizations that help the homeless and others in financial distress. Donate especially towards winter coat drives and food shelves. For as our beloved (saw) said, “Whosoever removes a worldly grief from a believer, Allah will remove from him one of the grievances of the Day of Judgment. Whosoever alleviates the needs a needy person, Allah will alleviate his needs in this world and the next . . ..” (Muslim)
- Learn the deen – You may be inside a lot now. Use the time wisely to increase your knowledge – memorize a new surah, read the Seerah of the Prophet (saw), or dedicate yourself to listening to a series of Islamic lectures. “And whoever follows a path to seek knowledge therein, Allah will make easy for him a path to Paradise. (Muslim)
- Choose gratitude – As the winter bring its own share of challenges, take this time to thank all those who are in the frontlines, helping to keep our communities together. Remember the sacrifices they making, reach out to them and support them, and remember them in your dua. Moreover, remember Allah’s blessings in your own life especially if you are warm, well-fed and safe at home, and constantly engage in dhikr and praise.
May Allah keep our hearts firm upon His deen in all seasons.